there are tons of factors that contribute to the formation of cellulite, including genetics, diet, dehydration, circulation, physical activity levels and hormones. there seem to be just as many “miracle” products out there that are supposed to banish lumps, bumps and dimples once and for all, but many women end up with results that are unclear or take a long time to appear.
one of the main problems with attempting to reduce cellulite is that many women are all too eager to throw money at expensive cosmetic treatments or over-the-counter products in the hopes of banishing their cellulite for good, without really understanding what it is, or what’s causing it—in short, as connective tissue and collagen fibers are weakened by some of the factors mentioned above, underlying fat deposits begin to surface, causing cellulite to appear on the arms, thighs, abdomen and behind.
fortunately, there are effective and budget-friendly natural solutions for dealing with cellulite, many of which are gifts from mother nature herself. you’ll find some of the worst enemies to cellulite in this body scrub recipe:
as an antioxidant-rich stimulant, coffee dilates blood vessels to tighten and tone tissue, boosts circulation and reduces water retention. fresh coffee grounds are higher in antioxidants, but you could also used coffee grounds if you just made a fresh pot and have some on hand.
citrus essential oils
in addition to being rich in vitamin C—which is a powerful, protective antioxidant—citrus oils like lemon and grapefruit help to improve blood circulation, stimulate the lymph glands and prevent water retention. they also help to oxygenate the cells, tighten the skin, strengthen the blood vessels and remove toxins from the body.
cinnamon essential oil
reinforces connective tissues by supporting the production of collagen, removes impurities from the body and supports cardiovascular and circulatory health.
HOW TO MAKE CAFFEINATED CITRUS CELLULITE SCRUB
what you’ll need
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1 cup ground coffee
– 1 cup carrier oil of choice [i used sweet almond]
– 10 drops of grapefruit essential oil
– 3 drops of lemon essential oil
– 2 drops of cinnamon essential oil [click ‘join + save’ to access wholesale prices]
here’s what to do
1. combine all ingredients in a bowl
2. to use, wet skin before applying in the shower
3. smooth the scrub onto the skin in circular motions, massaging into the skin for a few minutes
4. repeat this process, paying particular attention to problem areas
5. rinse off remaining scrub and pat dry
BONUS TIPS FOR BANISHING CELLULITE
– before applying this scrub, try adding dry brushing to your natural skincare routine to exfoliate, promote lymph drainage, improve circulation and break down connective tissue to target cellulite
– as a soothing post-scrub treatment, apply the same essential oils topically with a nourishing carrier oil
– if you are using with high-quality therapeutic essential oils that are safe for internal consumption, you can also add a drop grapefruit, lemon or cinnamon to your drinking water for an added support for metabolic and digestive health