i don’t know about you, but i’m picky when it comes to body butter and hand lotion. my dream formula is fragrant, non-greasy, quick absorbing, ultra-moisturizing, all-natural and something i can make myself. this DIY checks everything on my list.
this recipe calls for just five simple ingredients that come together to make an ultra-luxurious lotion. let’s take a second to appreciate each of the superstars in this recipe: coconut oil is highly moisturizing and boasts antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. shea butter is ultra-nourishing and boosts your skin’s ability to produce collagen. sweet almond oil is safe for sensitive skin, rich in vitamins E and B and protects against sun damage. cocoa butter and wild orange oil are loaded with antioxidants that help to maintain overall health.
i love slathering this on my face and neck before bed and waking up with skin that’s smooth, plump and oh-so-moisturized. it’s also a perfect hand cream for keeping dryness at bay, especially in the winter months.
HOW TO MAKE WHIPPED WILD ORANGE BODY BUTTER
what you’ll need
– ¼ cup of cocoa butter
– ¼ cup of shea butter
– ¼ cup of coconut oil
– ¼ cup of sweet almond oil
– 5 drops of wild orange essential oil [get wholesale essential oils here]
here’s what do to
1. fill ¼ of a double boiler (or a pot with a metal/glass bowl on top) with water and bring to a boil
2. add the cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil and sweet almond oil in equal parts to the container that’s furthest from the heat
3. wait until all the ingredients melt from a solid to a liquid state
4. remove the uppermost pot/bowl from the heat and allow it to cool completely in the freezer until the mixture solidifies once again
5. for speed and efficiency, use a handheld mixer to infuse air into the mixture. if you don’t have one, you can also vigorously whisk the mixture with a fork and it works just as well. you’ll know it’s adequately whipped when the texture becomes light and frothy—after you whip air into the formula, you might even notice that a few small bubbles have formed!
6. add a few drops of essential oils, according to your scent preferences
7. transfer the finished whipped essential oil-infused body butter into a jar of your choosing!
the beauty of this recipe’s simplicity is that you can really play around with the ingredients to make it your own. need a bigger batch of body butter? up the ratios in equal parts. want to cut the greasy feeling on your skin? add 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder. love that rich chocolatey smell? add more cocoa butter.
personally, i love the way citrus oils naturally bring out the rich smell of the cocoa butter, but you could also swap out wild orange for lavender, another oil of your choosing or even a blend.
experiment and spoil yourself with this divine DIY body butter!
ps. here are some 100% natural do-it-for-me body butter options with essential oils: